This week on The Blog Tag the theme is mental health. It is a topic that is still touchy in so many ways. Below are a few questions compiled by our administrators that we are to answer.
1. Do you or someone you know suffer from mental illness?
2. Are you interested in knowing more about mental illness, which mental illness in particular are you interested in?
Schizophrenia has always interested me
3. Do you feel like religion helps or complicates mental health and the treatment of mental illnesses?
I think faith plays a (positive) role, certainly. We need more faith.
4. What do you do to alleviate stress and keep your mind calm?
Music and prayer
5. Explain what you think Depression is like.
I think it is like being present…but somehow lost. An emotional roadblock
6. Would you go into a relationship knowing your future partner suffers from a mental illness?
Been there. I think we all some degree of mental illness at least once in our lives.
7. What do you think of hypnosis, have you tried it?
Not for me.
8. What would your advice be to someone in a negative state of mind?
I don’t know that I could advise anyone. I could pray for them.
9. Do you hold grudges?
For about ten minutes. Life’s too short for me to be carrying extra baggage. I have enough as it is.
10. How do you express your anger/frustration?
I become the most eloquent person you ever did see…without having to use foul language.
11. How does your culture view mental illness and the treatment thereof?
It depends on the particular neighbourhood and family affected, I guess. Education is key.
12. How important is is your mental health compared to your physical well being?
I think the two go hand-in-hand. My weight challenges used to weigh me down emotionally. Then I turned thirty and some “screw-it” switch went on in my brain. I’m good with me now. Perspective, right?
13. What is happiness to you?
Happiness is whatever I need it to be at any particular time. However, it cannot be found in a bottle, plant or pill. It is internal.
14. What are your views on sharing your problems either with a professional or friend?
I tend to keep to myself mostly. I do, however, understand that for many people talking about things work. I’m the suffer in silence type. The only way you see a bit of me is through my music and words.
With the society we live in I’ve had to seriously think about the answers before posting. Mental Wellness is very important. If we know of someone who is going through something we should try our utmost to educate ourselves. There are so many broken people walking amongst us. Depression, Schizophrenia, Bipolar…it has no face…yet it has many faces. Education, faith and an attempt at understanding. Try it.